Monday, January 4, 2010

Recession … Are you sure?




After a long trip away for the holidays, I returned to California with some mad shopping to take care of.

My fridge was empty, cupboards were bare, and I was even out of toothpaste.

This past Saturday, I spent my entire day navigating the crowds at Trader Joe’s, Target and Safeway stocking up.

I spent the better part of the day in these retail establishments stopping only for coffee at Starbucks.

What stood out to me most as I traveled up and down the isles loading my cart was the number of people doing the exact same thing.

The weekend after Christmas everyone was out. It was absolute retail mayhem: lines 4 –5 shoppers deep, carts overfilled with crap, displays that were sold out of merchandise.

Who are these people? Where is this recession I keep hearing about?

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. It is informative and inspiring. I am in a similar situation as you have been, [a woman between two cities] although I have been bouncing back and forth between a very small town in NW Montana and San Francisco. Healdsburg seems like the perfect fit, not too big, not too small, supporting a community with a conscious. My move is planned for the first week in August and I can't wait! Thank you for all of your helpful information. Hope to see you at a farmers market soon!

    ReplyDelete