Monday, November 23, 2009

To swine flu or not too …


The cries can be heard across Sonoma County: the supply of h1n1 vaccine, otherwise known as the swine flu vaccine, is running low or in the case of some medical care providers, it is out.

That’s right folks some of us less fortunate people are going to have to brave 2009 flu season without a vaccine in, perhaps, the most talked about flu season since the plague.

Is it the media? Is it reality? Are hospitals in Sonoma County, hospitals all over the US for that matter, accurately releasing true facts and figures as to the number of patients admitted for swine flu?

Is there a cover-up … are more people effected by this crazy strand of pandemic virus than we know?

I don’t know. But here are my facts as they relate to my people:

o I did vaccinate my daughter. She’s five and lives in a world full of vicious germlets.

o I got her on the “list” early (this feels reminiscent of preschool posturing.)

o I treated the flu clinic like Black Friday following turkey day. I was there the moment they opened the doors to the clinic, with my daughter and my friend’s son in tow, to make sure they both received the mist of vaccine before the clinic ran out.

(The clinic did run out, btw.)

I wasn’t really thinking about myself, just the children.

Then my friend, with said son above, got the vaccine, in Sonoma County. I have to admit that I did feel a pang of jealously akin to being left behind like a chubby redheaded checker in 4th grade recess with no friends to play with.

Then, 24 hours later, my friend got really sick, super, stay at home, hand the children off to the husband and starve yourself to sleep, by yourself, in your isolated sick room sick.

The flu vaccine, culpable for her illness or not, was looking less desirable.

I got my seasonal, gold standard, flu shot at the end of October and here’s what I am doing to stay well:

o Using lots of hand sanitizer

o Staying out of super crowded venues. You will not find me shopping on black Friday this year

o Gargling with salt water at night (tip from a doctor friend) and swiping sinuses

o Getting my full eight hours or more of beauty sleep every night

o Keep my abode really clean – which is habit anyway – but I am running bleach wipes over door handles once a week

o Taking a daily vitamin and vitamin C supplement

And … when I board my flight to Michigan this holiday season with my daughter X and Hubby Y in tow, I will have disposable masks handy just in case the person behind me is coughing and sneezing.

If the shot does become available for me, after the all the children, elderly and already chronically sick people are taken care of (no guilt said friend who got the shot and doesn’t fit that criteria), you will find me in line to get my prick, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment